Mom's Afterword

Saturday, July 1, 2006

A couple of people have asked for the text of the afterword my mother wrote for Mom's Cancer, part of which I read on "All Things Considered." The whole thing runs nearly three pages and, as I said on the air, Mom really did write it herself. That's her voice; I think it's worth the price of my book by itself. Here's the excerpt I read:

It's too soon to know what I've learned from all this. I know the most important person for me to take care of now is me, so that I will be around to help others later.... Cherish rest, laughter, friends, and prayers. Trust in yourself and make a peace treaty with your Higher Power. Have a Hero to never let go of and help you make it through the terrifying nights. Take frequent baths to get rid of the scent of toxins. Watch a lot of comedies. Keep your mind and hands busy. Then just breathe for as long as you can, knowing that others are helping to hold you up.

0 comments: