Gracias, Kibix

Wednesday, March 7, 2007

"Kibix" is a Web-based children's magazine published in Mexico (and in Spanish, naturally), whose editor contacted me several weeks ago asking permission to use some of my art in an article about Mom's Cancer. The March Kibix just came out, and I think the piece looks great:


My impression is that Kibix is aimed at the same cohort that Nickelodeon reaches elsewhere, and I also gather that this "Creators" ("Creadores") section is a regular feature of the magazine. Other features touch on health, ecology, and so on.

A couple of things about this recognition strike me as interesting. First, there's no Spanish translation of Mom's Cancer on the market yet, so I'm especially pleased--if a little puzzled--that a Spanish-language magazine would feature it. Second, as I've written before, I'm bemused to see my book getting some notice as literature for children and young adults. I wasn't aiming for that.

However, I was very careful to write and draw Mom's Cancer so it'd be accessible to the widest audience possible, from children to grandparents who'd never read a comic book or graphic novel. I made choices in language and artistic style with that priority in mind. (Maybe someday I'll share the extraordinary profanity Mom was capable of that didn't make it into the book.) It's really nice to see that those choices worked, even if in a way I didn't intend.
.

0 comments: