Happy Birthday to Mom

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Wednesday, August 22 would have been Mom's 68th birthday. I can't let the day pass without many private thoughts and at least a public mention.

When I was being interviewed by the Rockwell Museum guys last week, the conversation turned to what Mom's Cancer means to me now that some time has passed since the events I wrote about. That's a hard question to answer. One surprising thing I realized is that my understanding of Mom's ordeal still changes and grows. For example, it was many months later, long after the book was published, that I looked back with astonishment at just how unbelievably brave Mom was. I wrote in Mom's Cancer that "it's amazing what you can get used to," and until everything was long over I didn't quite understand what a miserable situation she'd gotten used to--we'd all gotten used to--one sad and disspiriting setback after another, Mom trying to maintain hope for herself but mostly for her children. It was an amazingly graceful exhibition of love.
.
Here's to Mom, still teaching me stuff.

In the TB sanatorium as a child

.

School portrait

.

Dressed for prom

.

A brief turn as a model, around age 19. What a babe.

.

A young mother and ... er, ahem, well ... Me.

.

The day she married my (step)Dad

.

Her 64th birthday, when she received her pup, Hero.

.

0 comments: