A Smoothie a Day...

Saturday, May 23, 2009

My typical meals
Breafast: Poptarts or a few handfuls of cereal
Lunch: Something frozen like Marie Collanders or Lean Cuisine
Snack: Chocolate like Hershey kisses or Reese cups. Cookies or crackers if any are around.
Dinner: Meat and a veggie with pasta or rice. Pepsi or sweet tea to drink.
Another snack: Ice cream or more chocolate

I don't have to be a nutritionist to look at that diet and know it's not healthy. I had been having headaches for the last 6 months or more, and they had been steadily occurring more often and more severely. I had originally blamed it on new contacts that were a stronger prescription than I was used to. I couldn't keep up that excuse for that many months.

So, for over a month now, I have been making fruit smoothies for breakfast. I figured as the most important meal of the day, that's the part I should work on first. I typically make smoothies 5 or 6 times a week. It's a rink-a-dink blender that can't handle everything I'd like to try, but it serves its purpose for now. Slowly, my headaches are becoming fewer and less severe.

I typically make 2 cups for myself.

My Favorite Smoothie - Banana Berry
1/4 pound of strawberries
a handful of other berries (blueberries, blackberries, and/or raspberries)
1 banana
1 apple (a sweet red kind)

Other possible add-ins:
**a heaping spoonful or 2 of Greek yogurt
**1/4-1/2 cup of juice (Cranberry Grape is what's typically in my fridge. Ideally, I'd juice my own fruit, but I haven't started that yet)
**A veggie that doesn't have much flavor, like some squash or zucchini
**For a sweeter mix, add a couple of chunks of ripe watermelon.

I like the strong blend of flavors, so I don't add water or ice. The juice and apples help give more amount without messing with the flavor. I would've frozen some of the fruit or juice to have a thicker smoothie, but the blender couldn't handle it. The yogurt and banana help make it a little thicker.

I'm going to take baby steps towards healthier eating. The next step will be healthier drinks in general instead of sodas and tea. Then on to snacks...

0 comments: