Sweet, Juicy PEACHES

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

For the last couple of days, I've been eating my way through a basket of freshly picked peaches. They are absolutlely delicious...sweet with a hint of tang-iness and plenty of juice that threatens to run down my chin with every delectable bite.

Peaches are currently a fairly cheap buy since they're in season. According to the Walmart ads I looked at, conventional ones are between .78 - $1 per pound this week, depending on where you live in the US. However, keep in mind that conventional peaches are on the dirty dozen list - they're loaded with pesticides. I recommend buying organic peaches if at all possible.

Here are a few recipes to use those cheap peaches. I tried to find ones that used the cheapest or the least amount of ingredients to keep the cost down.

Strawberry-Banana-Peach Smoothie - I tried this one this morning. It was really good, with room for variation. You can try almost any variety of juice instead of orange-peach-mango, though I recommend one in the red, orange, or yellow color range. You can add yogurt too...vanilla, plain, Greek, strawberry, or peach would be good.

Peach Brulee - A quick dessert. You can easily use fresh peaches (peeled) instead of canned.

Spicy Peach appetizer, Roasted Peaches, and Fresh Peach Pie from Kitchen Parade

Arugula Salad with Peaches & Feta - a light, very summery salad

Grilled Fruit with Apple-Maple Syrup

0 comments: