The Timer: Not Just a Kitchen Gadget

Saturday, March 27, 2010

The majority of my posts are focused on food. Makes sense since the first part of the title is "Eat Healthy." But how about "Live Well?" It's about time I started writing a little about that part, too. So for starters, it's hard to live well if you're stressed out from the environment you live in. Which is where I'm at right now.

I really, REALLY don't like housework. My house is a mess quite often, but I've been slowly cleaning up. I'm working to organize, declutter, and give away. One trick that's helped the most is using a digital timer (I learned it from FlyLady). I set it for 15 minutes and work until it goes off. If I'm almost done with a task when it beeps, I go ahead and finish that task. I set the timer again for 15 minutes for my break. During the break I might check my email, call up a friend, or simply sit in the recliner with my latest library find (currently One Simple Act: Discovering the Power of Generosity by Debbie Macomber).

The timer is my new best friend when it comes to household help! When I'm doing a task I don't like, I know I only have 15 minutes to endure it. Then there's also that 15 minute break to look foward to. The timer also makes sure I don't get too distracted and waste too much time on the computer or in the recliner. It also helps to have a list of semi-small tasks so when the 15 minutes start, I know what I need to do. It may be fold clothes, empty and reload the dishwasher, quick bathroom scrubdown, trash pickup, cleaning off a corner of a table, etc. I try to break them down small enough that they can be completed in 15 minutes, that way there's a sense of accomplishment when it's done!

Don't have a timer? No problem. You can use a free online one at E.gg Timer.

0 comments: