I Want a Doctor Like This

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

I like my family doctor - really I do. She's personable with a great bedside manner and listens well to whatever the issue is. But her focus is solely on whatever issue I came in for. We haven't discussed my lifestyle, typical diet/nutrition, or how to prevent whatever I may be at risk for. I wait for 30 minutes, see a nurse for 5 minutes, see the doctor for 5 minutes, and am out the door with a prescription in hand.

I wish my doctor was a little more like Dr. Peter Anderson, who's discussed in this article about family doctors and health-care costs. The article says:

Unlike most primary-care doctors, Anderson and his team take ample time to counsel patients, guide them through lifestyle changes, and monitor chronic conditions with frequent checkups. He has helped patients avoid heart attacks, diabetes, and unnecessary surgeries by focusing on prevention and disease monitoring. He does all this while seeing 30 to 35 patients a day, compared with 20 to 25 for most practices. And he accepts Medicare.

Anderson says he's able to do this because his nurses fill out the patient history, which is work that used to take hours of his time. According to the article, the nurses also spend about 30 minutes with each patient to assess new health problems, review old ones, and discuss preventative treatment options. The nurse also remains in the room with the patient and doctor during the exam to point out details in the medical history that a busy doctor could easily overlook.

So...when's the last time your family doctor asked about your diet or spent some time just talking about your health risks? Or suggested lifestyle changes rather than medication?

0 comments: