Growing Up Without Apples

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Image from Shelburne Farm in Stow, MA

As a child, I didn't eat apples. My mom kept encouraging me to eat them by bringing a couple home occasionally, but I wouldn't touch them. I didn't like apples, plain and simple. My tastes have changed since then, and there are many foods I eat now that I didn't like as a child. But I still stay away from the apples of my childhood.

During those years, the only apples I knew about were Red or Golden Delicious and Granny Smith. I didn't like any...especially not Red Delicious. Supposedly, there are over 7000 varieties of apples. How come I was only aware of 3 varieties for so many years? If I had've tried others, I'm pretty sure I would've liked apples then.

In my late teen years, I finally got a taste of a Gala apple, and it was delicious. I liked an apple! When I started doing my own grocery shopping, I found my local store sometimes carried Fuji, Macintosh, Pink Lady, and Braeburn. I like the last 2 as well. Out of 7000 varieties, grocery stores near me only carried half a dozen on a good day.

Recently at a local produce stand, I tried Honeycrisp and Winesap. LOVED the Honeycrisp...that's my new favorite. At a health food store, I was introduced to Sweet Tango (for $2.98/lb for conventionally grown! Won't be buying that one...)

My point, if there is one...is to try different varieties of produce rather than assuming you don't like it because of just 1 variety.

But why was I so often deprived of trying different varities of apples when there are so many in the world? A few possible answers:

--Transportation. Some apples fare much better than others when transported. They must have a tough skin to be bounced around and not end up bruised and scratched in the grocery store. When we're picking produce, don't we also go for the one that looks the prettiest?

--Who produced it? Different people and groups cultivate their own varieties... Honeycrisp was recently developed by the University of Minnesota. However, not all developments make it to the global market.

--Certain ones sell better. Growers and sellers know the market and know the favorites of the majority. Just because I don't like Red Delicious doesn't change the fact that it's one of the most bought apples in the US. Unfortunately for me, it will remain the most available.

--Cost of growing. As with all produce, there are certain types of apples that fare better with weather, pests, and overall ease of growing. The easier and hardier ones will obviously produce a better profit.

0 comments: