Pumpkins, Pumpkins Everywhere

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The air is just beginning to feel cooler, and I'm craving pumpkins. Pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread...mmm mmm delicious! They are beginning to be in season and are popping up EVERYWHERE. Every grocery store and corner produce stand around here has rows and rows of pumpkins. I've honestly never cooked anything with a whole pumpkin, and I didn't plan to try this week. Maybe later this month I'll experiment with hulling out the seeds and cooking with a whole pumpkin. For now, here's the Pumpkin Pie dip I made this week, straight out of the can...

Pumpkin Pie Dip
8 oz package of cream cheese, softened
15 oz can of pure pumpkin
1 1/3 cup confectioners sugar
1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Using a mixer, combine all ingredients until well blended. Refrigerate for at least an hour to allow flavors to meld together. Serve with any combination of sliced apples or bananas, pretzels, toasted wheat or zucchini bread, or ginger snap cookies.

The first bite was interesting (that was also before it was refrigerated). The second bite was growing on me. And the third bite was absolutely delicious. I'm addicted to this dip now!

Next on my list to bake are Vegan Pumpkin Brownies from the Happy Herbivore:

Picture from Happy Herbivore

Don't these look absolutely delicious? I just hope mine come out looking that good...and tasting as good as they look :)

0 comments: