Vending Machine Woes

Saturday, October 24, 2009

I hate vending machines. Everywhere I turn, there they are...tempting me with gooey Snickers, melt-in-your-mouth M&Ms, and messy powdered donuts. When slight hunger pangs or cravings kick in as I'm out and about or at work, the vending machines become money draining, health depleting, socially accepted evil beings. The healthiest thing in them is usually pretzels or animal crackers, and it's certainly cheaper to buy a box of whatever you want than to keep buying individual pieces from the machines every day. It was most amusing to see the junk-food crammed vending machine in the hospital, where the idea is typically to make people healthier.

I just can't keep change with me anymore. When small amounts of money are left in my pockets, it somehow disappears and a candy bar magically appears in my hand.

But did you know some companies are now developing healthier vending machines?! I have yet to see one around here, but I keep hearing about them. Can't wait to see who's the first around here to jump on the latest healthy bandwagon! If you're in charge of vending or have any kind of power at your work or school, I recommend looking in to these companies. Anyone in school, petition the principal, dean, or other school official. It's amazing what can be changed when enough people get on board and get loud.



Picture from YoNaturals

YoNaturals is one company that develops plans for healthier vending machines. The prices are no better than regular vending ($1.25 Annie's Homegrown cheddar bunnies, 1 oz.), but there's a wide range of possible products. There's still sweet junk food like Late July cookies and salty snacks like Snikkidy Snacks baked cheese puffs. Of course there's the healthier options like Brothers All Natural fruit crisps and Stretch Island fruit leather. There's also a large range of bars (Clif, Kashi, Envirokidz, etc.) and drinks (Horizon milk, Silk soymilk, Poland water, Apple & Eve Fizz Ed, Back to Nature juice, Tazo tea, etc.)

Healthy Vending Services has similar products, such as Pirate's Booty, Stacy's Chips, Clif bars, Fiji water, and much more. The machines can be drinks, snacks, or a combo. The machines also have cashless payment systems for debit or credit cards. I don't think I'd be able to stay away from these! I can't go without loose change AND my cards.

My favorite idea is vending with Del Monte. Del Monte's article says "fresh-cut products, portioned between four to six ounces, offer a varied mix of pineapple chunks, grapes, apple slices, baby carrots, celery, and tomato; some paired with light dips." The line will initially be in the Mid-Atlantic and Southeast regions of the US, but locations should increase around the beginning of 2010. Prices will range from $1 to $2.25 per item.

For a do-it-yourself guide, check out Stonyfield Farms Vending Machine Makeover. They don't sell vending machines, but they do list great ideas for how to get started and what snacks to include. For larger scale inspiration, here's the Health & Vending Machine policy for the County of San Diego Department of Parks and Recreation. It was adopted in 2006, and I see it as a decent guide at least for vending machines that are in a strategic placement for children and teens.

0 comments: