General Anesthesia for dental work?

Thursday, January 13, 2011

I have to have some extensive dental work done at some point in time (almost every tooth has a cavity, and several are going to have to be pulled sadly :( ). The problem is, I have a HORRIBLE gag reflex. Just horrible. I gag just sitting in the waiting room from nervousness. I feel bad for dentists because I know this makes doing work extremely difficult for them. Even taking x-rays is a nightmare :(. Would it be possible for them to knock me out using general anesthesia? I don't have a fear of needles or anything (I never have), it's just the constant gagging, I can't stop it :(. Also, I am not a fan of pain (and these visits WILL hurt), so, not feeling that would be nice. Any suggestions or insight? Thanks :) Oh, and also, what are the effects after GA? Is there any special care that is needed, am I going to need time to recover, etc?
--------------------
Yes, they could. The gagging reflex would be supressed by the anesthetic. And they do use it for people with extreme phobias, so, in theory, there is no reason why they couldn't use it for you. HOWEVER, I imagine it would depend on your dentist - they would make the ultimate decision about whether it is worth the risk to put you under. Gagging may be something that is bothersome for them, and you, but not worth the risks of anasthesia (stroke, respiratory failure, allergic reaction, suffocation, etc.). They would also have to have an anaesthesiologist available to put you under, so the extra cost is something to consider. If there is any way they can do the work without, they will find it. That said, I strongly recommend speaking to your dentist about it - it's possible you can learn to control your gag reflex with practice and training, so as to end this problem once and for all. it's none of my business, but I wonder if the reason your mouth is in bad shape is because you avoid the dentist due to your gag reflex. If this is the case, you really have to get it under control and reflexes can be controlled with concentration and practice. -- Side effects after GA: vomiting, dizziness, nausea, disorientation. I doubt you'd be able to go back to work or school right away - you would need a few hours for the drugs to fully wear off and you would definitely need someone to accompany you home. After it wears off, you should be fine. You'll just need some pain killers to control the pain from the surgery itself.
Source

0 comments: