i am a horrible dental patient, and may have my first cavity at age 21. i dont like numbness or needles, so im thinking about nitrous oxide. the only thing is, i have a lot of general anxiety, and my mind is very strong. i read it makes u feel like ur floating and that u dont care whats going on. my anxiety is mainly due to wanting to be in control, and with the gas, i wont be in control, but ill be aware etc... im just so confused how this will effect me with my kind of anxiety does it really make u laugh? (i dotn see how they could do dental work if im laughing, in general, i laugh very easily) how aware will i be? would it be a good choice for me with my anxiety? any other info would be helpful!!
--------------------
Nitrous affects differnet people in slightly different ways. Some people do float, some people get talkative and some get quiet. Most people really don't care what's going on unless you are trying to think about it. If you are nervous for being in control, you could get nitrous or not, but the main thing you want to do is be very involved in your treatment. Have your DDS talk you through what he is doing, if you don't think that would scare you. THE BEST thing you can do to ease anxiety is to talk to your dental assistant. She will be in the room with you the entire time you are on nitrous, and she can calm you down so so much. I have had so many dental treatments of different kinds, and used nitrous and didn't use it. Personally, I don't usually use nitrous that much, just because it costs an extra 50 bucks out of pocket at my dentist. I used to be really afraid of going, but after I met my current dentist and dropped my pediatric one I now LOVE going! This is really because of my relationship with my dental assistant, not drugs or nitrous. When you have a cavity filled, you should feel no pain at all. Your gums will be numbed by a topical anesthetic before you are injected with the local. Your DDS will wait till thats set in, and then get to work. If you are ever in any pain during the drilling, you should raise your hand and your DDS should top up your local. Really, if it were my first time with nitrous I would just ask my dental assistant what she thought. It really depends on how you're going to react and what type of work will be done. Also, if your cavity is small enough you may be able to get air abrasion. This is like sandblasting your cavity. Messy, but totally painless. It only works on small surface cavities, though. Oh yeah, it doesn't make you laugh at all. I find things slightly more amusing on it, but have no will to actually bother laughing. Sounds funny, I know, but you would have to experience it to know what I'm talking about exactly. I know you can have a great treatment if you talk to your assistant! Good luck!
Source
Should i use nitrous oxide for my dental work?
Thursday, January 13, 2011
Posted by
Bobby vaizZ
at
6:15 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment