Forget the Soda

Saturday, June 13, 2009

I love sodas...Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, even generic brands. They're sweet and flavorful, and I love the fizz that tickles my nose and throat. And yet they're all packed with sugar or high fructose corn syrup and lots of other preservatives/chemicals. I was only drinking one can every day or 2, but that was still too much. Now, I'm pretty good at avoiding it (sweet tea is a current weakness), but there are times when I just CRAVE that fizz.

Let's see if I've got my science right: That fizz is just bubbles of carbon dioxide. For typical sodas, they have their "special syrups" that are mixed with carbonated water (sparkling water sounds better, doesn't it?). So in theory, any kind of concentrated liquid or syrup could be mixed with sparkling water to make a "soda."

Eureka! Why hadn't a company thought of this before?! Carbonated juice...healthy AND fun!

Well, maybe it wasn't such a brand new idea. The Switch beat me to it.


The Switch drinks ("The" is actually upside down and backwards, but I unfortunately can't type like that) are made of juice concentrates, filtered sparkling water, natural flavors (any idea what that could be?), and ascorbic acid. I tried the Watermelon Strawberry, and it was delicious. A kick of strawberry with a hint of watermelon, and just the right amount of fizz.
Go here to find a store near you that carries it. Just keep in mind not all stores are listed. I found it at a local Whole Foods Market, but that wasn't on the list for my state.

0 comments: