Smashed Cauliflower

Saturday, June 27, 2009

My goal is to try one new fruit or veggie every week. For years, I've stuck with the same basics: apples, grapes, cucumbers, potatoes, lettuce, corn, and green beans (just not all together). Trying a new one every week is a bigger challenge than I thought it would be.



Photo from Sallycat101 on flickr
This week, I tried cauliflower. I'd heard great things about mashing it like potatoes. I'd been told with the right ingredients (like cheese and chicken broth), it'd taste just like potatoes. I searched for mashed cauliflower recipes, read over a few, and mixed and matched what I liked about each one. Smashed Cauliflower from AllRecipes.com was the closest to what I actually did with my head of cauliflower. I steamed it instead of boiling it, and then added enough chicken broth for taste.

The verdict: It's DEFINITELY cauliflower. Unless someone has never tried mashed potatoes, you're not going to fool anyone into thinking they are eating potatoes. When I eat something mashed, I want it to be potatoes. Mine also came out a little runny. Some sour cream or Greek yogurt would've helped a bit. I decided I liked cauliflower, but not cooked like this. Maybe next time I'll try this Broccoli and Cauliflower Casserole, but I'll follow the healthy advice in the reviews.

0 comments: