My New Lunchbox Came in the Mail!

Friday, June 19, 2009

I'm trying to eat healthier lunches, which means fewer frozen entrees (I LOVE Marie Collander's). For awhile, I was eating one almost every day.

As I started changing my diet, I was bringing more and more items in ziploc bags. I didn't want to buy and waste so many ziploc bags (I didn't do so well reusing the bags) or juggle so many plastic Glad containers with mismatched lids, so I gave in and bought a bento box from Laptop Lunches. They are free of pthalate, bisphenol-A (BPA), and lead.

Photos are from Laptop Lunches

Bento is a home-packed meal that is common in Japanese culture. According to Wikipedia, a typical meal consists of rice, fish or other meat, and a veggie. It's supposedly typically common for the Japanese to spend considerable time creating an appealing lunch.

As the bento concept spreads, we're mixing up the meals with sandwiches, leftovers, fruits, etc. Whole forums and websites are dedicated to bento lunch ideas, many of which can be prepared in 10 minutes or less.


My new lunchbox has a strong plastic smell right now, but I'm assuming that will change after it's aired out and been washed. I won't be using it much until school starts back in August, so I'll update then with whether or not I like it. So far, I'm excited about it!

0 comments: