Camera Shy

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Nikki and I were tossing around some crazy blog topics, and we thought it would be fun(ny) for her to embarrass herself with this one:

My family and I haven't taken many pictures over the last few years, and I've started to cringe when a camera is brought out. I don't feel like I look "my best" too often, so I certainly don't want it documented.

Yesterday, I was looking through some old photos trying to find a specific one when it hit me - I  DO want these years documented on camera, no matter how rough I look. Sure, I'm not exactly fond of the pictures where I'm in old baggy clothes, no make-up, and wearing thick glasses instead of contacts. Those are not the pictures I post on Facebook or put in frames around my house. But as I looked through the old photos, I couldn't help but smile at even the grungy photos because I can remember the moment it captured. Without the visual reminder, I would've forgotten those moments.

Now I'm making a promise to myself: I will not try to avoid cameras or complain when someone is taking pictures. I don't look "my best" on a daily basis, so why should that be all that's allowed on camera. I want visual reminders of more than just the special events like Christmas. I want the normal daily events and spontaneous moments as well.

Besides, if I had always avoided cameras, I wouldn't be able to look back and laugh at days like this:

Tacky Day way back in middle school. Thick glass, braces, and yet so happy.

0 comments: