overcoming mild social anxiety/interpersonal difficulties before working in dental assisting?

Saturday, February 26, 2011

I'm going into dental assisting school this fall and although I have a personality that can be caring towards people, I feel anxious a bit in social situations and I would probably describe myself as an introvert. What attracted me to this job was doing work that was meaningful and work that is helping other people. I eventualy want to do dental hygenist because again I would be able to do wortk that was meaningful and helping people plus the pay is good and the hours flexable. So my quesiton is how do I overcome anxiety is social situations...it's not really bad but still is bad...I think it's a confidence issue myself....I do have some interpersonal difficulties as well, and I am an introvert. the DA I job shadowed appeared to be a bit of a quiet person as well...I job shadowed him a couple of days but spent the next 4 shadowing a hygenist. I plan on doing more shadowing of dental assistants, I figure it will decrease my anxiety a lot as well as my interpersonal problems...so what do you think?
--------------------
hey! im a DA for an orthodontist, i too am a quiet person, not shy just not 'out there'. i have been assisting for two years and i havent changed at all. I am confident when i am dealing with patients so that helps a lot, they remain calm and i am able to cruise through my job quite easily. i guess you need to just find confidence in yourself, your a good person, you want to help people, this is a awesome quality to possess, so you shouldnt doubt yourself. if you want to come out of your shell a bit more so you dont seem quite to introverted take more of an interest in what other things are going on in peoples lives, eg, their interests, what studies they might be involved in, vaccation plans etc... have questions prepared before you are thrown into a social situation, with practice you will find that conversation flows easy. remember patients are already anxious enough themselves so you need to be cool, calm and collected so that will rub off on them. hope this helps!!! and good luck with your studies!!
Source

0 comments: