I have bad teeth...damaged by many things throughout the years and am afraid to go to the dentist...HELP!?

Monday, February 28, 2011

I am afraid to go to the dentist, but I know I need to to take care of myself....but I am very fearful. My teeth are not in good shap and I would like crowns/veneers...etc because of the extent of damage to my teeth. Any dentists out there who can give me some pointers on how to calm my anxieties so I can get a dental check up? It has been several years...and I know I need to go. I hope this doesn't sound stupid, but any HELPFUL advice would be greatly appreciated. Need/want more details please ask and I will post an update...Thank You!
--------------------
The things that I've found help patients at our office feel the most comfortable are first coming in for an exam only and then having one Valium prescribed for the day of the procedure. If you go into an appointment for an exam only, you will know that there will be no procedures done that day. The assistant will take some x-rays of your teeth and the dentist will evaluate your mouth and talk with you. It will give you a chance to see if you like the dentist, the staff and the office. If you decide to go somewhere else, take the x-rays with you so you don't have to pay for them again. Prescribing one Valium is very normal for dentists. Many patients are nervous. The medicine makes it easier on the patient and the dentist. If all else fails, ask an assistant to hold your hand! It's common and we really don't mind. Best of luck to you!!
Source

0 comments: