Should my nephew still have a pacifier?

Sunday, February 27, 2011

My nephew has autism, he's going to be 5 years old this July and my grandparents (which are 77 years old) still give him a pacifier...is it wrong? and will he have dental problems in the future if they keep on giving it to him? They take care of him most of the time since his parents don't want to for too long (another subject). but I'm wanting to know so me and my parents can try to convince them to stop giving it to him. You can already tell that his teeth are sticking out from them giving it to him so much and I'm worried about what his teeth are going to look like in the future if they keep on giving it to him at night and just about all the time during the day. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
--------------------
First of all there is a full spectrum of autism. Is he high funtioning and just babied because of it? Yes he will have dental problems but with his disability is the pacifier helping? Who knows that is where a medical professional comes in. Children with autism are very hard sometimes to read, since with autism comes a lack of social knowledge and many times interaction. Where he is five he could have the mental capacity of a much younger child (sorry not trying to be rude). Autism because of its full spectrum is hard. Sad to say but the pacifier may be a needed implement to his staying well. If he did not have autism or if he is high functioning autistic I would say throw out the pacifier by 6 mos. of age. But in this case I would see what his pedi and any other doctors say. BTW I would not take any suggestions from Amy Z above, she apparently thinks it is ok to leave a child in a dirty diaper for hours because the kid wants to....the kid is probably 4.
Source

0 comments: