q for dental hygenist regarding a cleaning...?

Friday, February 25, 2011

I had an aggressive cleaning 7 days ago. I had not been flossing and I know it had to be done but it was very painful, lots of bleeding. I have "reversible" gum disease. I guess that means it won't necessarily progress if I start taking care of my gums. My question is - is it normal that my gums still really hurt. I have one spot in particular that is as sore as it was immediately after the cleaning. I even bought a waterpik because my gums in that area are so sore, I can't floss. How much longer before my gums settle down? Thanks. PS I had no gum pain before the cleaning - even though my gums were unhealthy.
--------------------
If your gums still hurt try taking a couple of Advil (or other ibuprophin). Use the waterpik daily. Ensure that when you brush your teeth you feel the bristles tickling (massaging) on your gums - even the sore areas. If you think your toothbrush is too hard run it under the hot tap to soften the bristles. Hopefully you are using a new toothbrush not the one you were using prior to your cleaning - if not change it NOW! Toothbrushes should be changed every 3 months or when the bristles look as if they have exploded. On that note don't scrub your teeth when you brush - hold the brush in your fingertips and gently massage the teeth and gums - slow things down a bit, scrubbing back and forth vigorously may damage your teeth and gums whereas gently massaging with the toothbrush will result in pink health gums.
Source

0 comments: