Deciding between medical and dental careers?

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Im a college grad with a degree in Life science and a minor in biology (2007) from Penn State and currently in a Master's program in Health Education at Penn State as well. I have been interested in the medical field for a while now, have done research, volunteering and shadowing. Recently i applied to meds school for this fall but didnt get accepted any where. In my master's program, there are a few students who are in the dental field and i got some information from them and advice which got me to think about dental school as well. What my point is, is that i know what ever career i am to have, i want it to be related to interacting and caring for people and have to deal with medicine. I would appreciate it if someone could give me some personal experience in this situation whether medical or dental which would help me make my decision. I know i have to make the final decision but some guidance would be appreciated (education info and in field experience).
--------------------
Personal experience was EMT and nursing student, but I'd like you to consider also: PA--physician assistant as well as both DO and MD options and even ND--Naturopathic Doctor and DC--Doctor of Chiropractic. PTs--Physical Therapists can be of amazing help to people as well. Allied health careers--including lab fields such as Nuclear Med Tech and more are all worthwhile as well. Browse this resource for concrete info on ed, job outlook, and more: http://www.bls.gov/OCO/ Example of what you find under physician: http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos074.htm Good luck.
Source

0 comments: