Should I move to Portland from Canada?

Sunday, February 27, 2011

The weather is comparable to Vancouver (which is awesome), but without the rain. The housing prices are ridiculously low compared to Van too. I could teach there after I finish school. But i'm afraid of leaving my free healthcare behind! Last September I had to go to the hospital for a really bad allergic reaction and they covered everything. I saw an allergist a month later and only had to pay a few $'s for meds that would otherwise be very pricey. This is really my main sticking point. Is the health care in the US really that bad or is it just being blown out of proportion by the media? On the plus side, taxes is way lower, right? So that should offset the dental, eye care and doctor visits i'm getting for free now, right? Any other advice on whether I should move/the differences from someone who has lived in either/both places?
--------------------
You can't beat free healthcare. There's alot of people here who wished they had free healthcare. Other than that, Oregon is a wonderful place to live. I can't imagine living anywhere else. I have lived in Portland for 15 years and grew up in Southern Oregon and I'm ready to move, preferably to the coast. Try one of the coastal towns to live in. Astoria, Seaside, Florence, Coos Bay are great places to start. Portland is getting a bit overcrowded, at least for me.
Source

0 comments: