Baby Steps to a Healthier You: Fix It Beforehand

Friday, January 28, 2011

It seems like no matter what I do, I'm always rushing around in the morning like a crazy woman so that I won't be late. And yet, after all the craziness, I'm often still late. I normally start the morning with the best of intentions. My alarm clock is set a little bit early just so I have enough time to fix a healthy breakfast and lunch or to simply have a few minutes to relax or read my Bible before the hectic day starts.

There are good intentions and then there is reality. In reality, car keys go missing, a leak is noticed under the bathroom sink, and the pants I was planning to wear were accidentally left in the washing machine. The travel mugs are all dirty so I have nothing to put a to-go drink in, and it turns out the lettuce for my salad is a brown wilted mess because it's been in the fridge longer than I realized. Breakfast must be eaten on the run once again, and I'll just have to buy something for lunch.

It seems healthier meals and busy lifestyles do not play well together. But there's a fairly simple solution to this -- fix the food beforehand.

I confess, I'm  having a little bit of difficulty with this one, but I am at least doing better than I used to. Remember, this is about baby steps. Don't beat yourself up if you can't fix every breakfast and lunch beforehand. Let's move on to some ideas.

Breakfast

Whole Wheat Waffles with Blueberry Syrup from Heavenly Homemakers

Smoothies - Ideally these are consumed fresh, but it's so much easier to make a large batch and freeze in individual containers, like in these 8 oz, 16 oz, or 32 oz freezer jars. Move one to the fridge the night before to thaw.
Lots of other foods can be made ahead of time. Get your family to help cook the night before or make a large batch during a weekend to freeze for quick on-the-go breakfasts. For this I love some of the recipes at Heavenly Homemakers, like Giant Breakfast Cookies, Breakfast Burritos, Whole Wheat Waffles, Homemade Poptarts, and Banana Muffins (I add chopped walnuts or pecans).
Fruit and Yogurt Parfaits can also be refrigerated overnight for a delicious breakfast. Top with granola in the morning.

Lunch
Some things get soggy when made early, like PB&J sandwiches. Pack what you can into containers the evening before, like fruit, veggies and dip, pretzels, etc. If making a salad, pack dressing in a separate container so the greens don't get wilted overnight. For burgers, I like to pack them in divided containers. Cheese, meat, and bread on 1 side; lettuce, tomato, and pickles on the other side. It prevents soggy buns and wilted lettuce.

Leftovers from dinner make great lunches as well. Just pack a container that evening or freeze in individual portions for healthy, convenient lunches.

Finally, pack a snack! When you hit the 3:00 slump, it's better to be armed with a healthy snack instead of digging for quarters for the vending machine.

What's your favorite quick breakfast or lunch?

0 comments: