I need a dental crown on a molar...which is better porcelain or gold?

Saturday, January 29, 2011

my dentist says porcelain...but I'm not convinced...and...are crowns strong...will it last...will I have to avoid certain foods...I don't care what it looks like, I just want the strongest
--------------------
I am a dentist and here is my answer in caps because it is important and then you can read the longer version to follow. IF YOU WANT A CROWN THAT WILL LAST THE LONGEST AND LOOKS ARE NOT IMPORTANT TO YOU YOU WANT A METAL CROWN MADE WITH NOBLE METALS. MAKE SURE IT IS NOBLE METAL. It is a complicated answer to a complicated question. You really don't want an all porcelain crown on a molar. A porcelain crown with metal under it for strength might be OK, but mostly it depends on what you want. There are three types of crowns All porcelain all most not detectable to a amateur observer. They are weak and probably too weak for molars. There are different types of all porcelain, but I will just leave it at that. They do require more of your tooth to be removed than either of the other two types of crowns. Porcelain with metal under them pretty strong and look pretty good, but the porcelain can come off over time. By far the best restoration you can have in your mouth is an cast gold restoration. They fit the best, they won't break, and they require the least amount of your tooth to be removed to place a gold crown. It is the only thing you can put in your mouth where you can say it will not break. Your tooth might decay around it and you might wear through it, but it will not break. Everything else you put in your mouth can break and probably will over time. I am a dentist and I always ask patients what is important to them. Is it looks? is it sort of looks and longevity? or do you want what will last the longest without regard for looks? The only problem with a precious metal/gold crown is they are yellow. If you do get a metal crown, make sure you know what you are getting. Many dentists try to cut corners and use base metals in their crowns, but they don't fit, work, or last as well as a noble metal full cast crown. We use gold because they cast well and fit well and are the most biocompatible dental material that was ever developed. I hope that helps.
Source

0 comments: