Dental care while pregnant?

Saturday, November 27, 2010

I am currently 4 months pregnant (second trimester) and my back wisdom tooth cracked in half and the gum is just hanging there. This happened earlier today. I am not in any pain. My last dentist visit was right before I got pregnant and I was planning on getting a root canal and a few cavities filled. I was planning on going under anestesia because a previous dentist kept on hitting my nerve and I left there in tears! So I know I can't be put under due to pregnancy... can this wait to be done? I do not want to go thru what I went thru the last time. Is there something I could use in the meantime to get this temporarily corrected?
--------------------
First of all, DO NOT LISTEN TO FLOYD S. He is way off base here. It sounds like the wisdom tooth was necrotic for it to have cracked and you not have any pain. By necrotic, I mean that the nerve was already dead, which was killed by the cavities in your mouth. Second, the reason why you were in tears when you were getting your cavities filled is this: The local anesthesia that doctors use works by dissolving into the nerve and "turning it off." In order for the local anesthetic to get into the nerve, your tissues must be uncharged. When you get an infection (a cavity in this case) the pH of your body changes, causing the local anesthetic to become charged, so it can't get to the nerve to "turn it off." Not being able to see the extent of damage in your mouth (the amount of teeth with cavities, the number of teeth needing to be pulled/root canaled), it is hard to say what you need to do. You really need to meet with a dentist and your physician/OBGYN to decide how bad your situation is, and weigh the risk/benefits to you and your baby vs. amount of work needed. Good luck!
Source

0 comments: