Do antibiotics harm tooth enamel?

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Throughout my childhood, I've had 30+ ear infections, strep throat and other infections that required antibiotics. Also, I was on an antibiotic for acne for about 2 years. I've never had problems with my teeth (i'm 18 now). During the last 2 years, I've had about 4 or 5 cavities and painful sensitivity to most of my teeth. My dentist keeps blaming the cavities on poor dental hygiene, but I do properly take care of my teeth. Is is possible that the numerous antibiotics have now cause permanent damage to my tooth enamel?
--------------------
I know studies are being conducted and I even found one for you but to say one thing is the cause is irresponsible. In a way yes it COULD cause issues with enamel but more often than not it is a lot more than that. I have heard of studies in school that mothers who were medicated obviously affected their childrens teeth so it is plausible. Cavities are apart of life and what you eat and drink play into it as well. Do not go to war with the dentist over it. Use some different products such as sensodyne and an enamel strengthening mouthwash. you can get a script from dentist for sensodyne, that one is expensive! Hope I helped ease a bit!
Source

0 comments: