Should I retire or keep working?

Monday, March 14, 2011

My employer is pushing "early" retirement on many employees over 55. Anyone that been there more than 37 years will receive a special incentive of 85% of their last three year's gross salary. Since I'm now 58 and will have been there 38 years come September, I qualify for this. I will also not have to pay health insurance premiums because I have over 800 of sick leave accruals, but dental and vision care are not included. I did a quick calculation and found out I will be getting close to $4000 a month under the current plan. I can't apply for Social Security for a least 4 more years even to get the minimum amount and 8 years to get the maximum (if there's anything left by then). I have no debts or dependents - my car is paid for and I live in a house I inherited, so I just have to pay for insurance, maintenance and utilities and I never married or had kids. I thought of getting a part-time job if I do retire and have sent out some resumes, but none panned out. My problem is that I have specific skills (scientific research) that don't apply to most jobs that are looking for clerical or sales experience. Not many employers are looking for someone that can do gel electrophoresis or gas chromatography. I just thought between what I will be receiving in my pension plus the $750,000 (not a TYPO!) I've managed to save, I can get along. Is it possible in light of today's economic situation and inflation? Any suggestions to improve my situation in retirement?
--------------------
You seem worried about how you will survive and how you will keep busy. You have lots of good stuff. You have your house and you have $750,000 to manage plus your income. Give yourself a break and enjoy yourself a little. Your energy levels are coming down and you have until aged late 70s where you can still move around and see some of the things you have been missing in life. You seem intelligent so get out and explore what you have been missing by working all these years. Like many retirees you may find that you wonder where you had time to work all these years. I retired 6 years ago at aged 52 and I have never been so busy...just takin' care of business...my business.
Source

0 comments: