My friend may be caring for an orphaned litter of Chinese Crested Pups. Questions about them?

Sunday, March 13, 2011

My friend is very experienced with raising abandoned animals. She is hoping to care for an abandoned litter of crested pups because the owner, who tried to breed them, experience the loss of the mother dog. She cannot care for them as she has work. She is also getting rid of the father dog. So if she gets them, I decided that I want one as a companion for my Chihuahua. I know crested dogs need skin care. They need frequent bathing and sunscreen. They are a toy breed that is known for dental issues. I've loved dogs my whole life over, and want to be a professional groomer and professional trainer. I'm just waiting until my fiance finishes setting up his business to start school. Anyways I'm a very experienced animal person! I've raised birds, cats, dogs, fish, lizards, crickets, beetles, spiders, etc. So I feel confident in my ability to care for almost anything! But I've never had a crested, and I've never bought sunscreen for my dog, etc. So, here are a few questions: 1. What is a safe, all natural sunscreen for dogs and people?(a human one that can be used on pets)? 2. what is a good exfoliating product for people that can be used on a dog? 3. How often should I bathe my crested? 4. what shampoo is best for a crested? 5. I plan on raw feeding my crested, what are some pointers for feeding such a small mouthed dog? I have a Chi but Cresteds are known for dental problems. 6. What type of brush should I get for the crest, plumes, and socks? 7. Any additional considerations for a crested? Thank you so much for your time! All answers are appreciated!
--------------------
1. I just use suncreen that is used for babies. My Crested is dark-skinned, so he doesnt burn as easily as a light-colored would. Sunscreen can block pores and cause acne tho, so you may want to use it only when the dog will be exposed to the sun. 2. Most use sugar scrub.. you can make your own too. Take sugar, and mix with either olive oil or almond oil to desired consistency. 3. I know people that bathe weekly, and some that bathe once every few weeks. Skin care needs will depend on the individual dog. 4. I would reccommend a good moisturizing dog shampoo. You can determine from there if yours needs more specialized shampoo for controlling acne. Such shampoos are drying to the skin so you wont use them every time you bathe anyways. 5. The dental issues Cresteds have is some loss of teeth.. most are missing premolars and a few molars. The teeth are smaller and have thinner enamel too. Mine eats raw and does it with no problems. 6. A comb or pin brush works well. 7. Cant think of any specifics.. if you want you can join our group.. www.crestedsrock.com If you friend needs help placing the other pups, I'd reccommend contacting crest care www.crest-care.net.
Source

0 comments: