Pain management after tooth extraction?

Monday, March 14, 2011

I have a cracked tooth (involving the root) that has been killing me lately. My oral surgeon and dentist are overbooked (something about summertime and kids getting their dental problems taken care of . . .), so I had to see a new dentist because it was abscessed (I was running a fever of 101+). The new dentist scheduled an extraction for tomorrow. Sorry for the background, but here's my question: I typically have SEVERE pain after extractions (I've had 3 before . . . and 2 dry sockets), and I don't know if the new dentist will prescribe me something for the pain tomorrow after the extraction. (Before someone accuses me of being out for pain meds, I certainly would find a better way to go about it if that were my aim. Paying $200 for some Lortabs and suffering with mouth pain? No thanks). Because of stomach ulcers, I can't take Ibuprofen or anything over the counter other than Tylenol. So, understandably, I'm worried if the Dr. doesn't write for something I'll be stuck. My husband says he's never heard of a dentist pulling a tooth and NOT giving something. So am I worried for nothing?
--------------------
I was going to suggest Nurofen but that is ibubrofen. Pity that you cannot tolerate it - Consider whether you can take it with milk or something more substantial like semolina custard. Would you be able to tolerate it then. Nurofen is much better than paracetamol or codeine even when it comes to dental problems; experienced with trying them all! I would like to offer the suggestion though that not ALL dental extractions are painful. The last time I had one I took no medication at all; no real ryme or reason to it. Definitely ask your dentist to prescribe something in case you need it though; they should be the first to offer suggestions in this regard. Good luck.
Source

0 comments: