I need some dentist advice?

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Little bit of background: I had a VERY bad experience at the dentist when I was younger and I'm terrified of needles so I haven't been to the denist in about 6 years. have naturally very straight, white teeth so I haven't felt a need to go. Anyway, a filling came out not too long ago and then on Thursday my tooth broke (the one with the filling). So on Friday I went for an appointment at a dentist near my house to see what was going on. First thing, I get there and he asks how long it's been since I last went there. I told him and he said "well I think you're a candidate for sedation denistry so you should have that. No discussion about it, just said that he'll send the paperwork to my doctor to sign off on it. Sedation dentistry is $600. Second, he said I need a root canal and crown on the broken tooth (I'm okay with that because I figured as much). Then he said I have some cavities that need work "immediately" He has booked me in tomorrow for a "new patient exam" where he won't fix any of the issues, he'll just be examining my teeth to figure out exactly what needs to be done. He also mentioned that we need to do something about my wisom teeth since I still have those. Now, I'm 26 and I haven't had any issues with my wisdom teeth at all so I'm not getting them removed. Unless they cause me issues, they're not going anywhere. He kept stressing that I need to get sedation dentistry and that I need to get in to get everything done ASAP and how it's very urgent. I have NO issues getting everything done and I would like it done as soon as it can be so that it's all fixed and then I can start going for regular check ups and my teeth will be okay. I don't mind that, but I do mind being ripped off. Also, I felt like he was talking down to me a little bit because it's been so long since I've been to a dentist. He kept saying that I'm showing that I don't care about my dental health and he's upset about that since I seem to take care of myself everywhere else. I was a little insulted by that (there's a little bit of truth in it but still, I didn't think it was his place to say that). His assistants were great, but I just found him to be a little condescending. I'm worried that this doctor is just trying to scare me and trying to get me to get way more work than I need. I want to get the broken tooth fixed ASAP so I'm not sure if I should shop around for a new dentist or not. Anyway, some advice would be great! Thanks!
--------------------
You should def. shop around before committing to his services. My dentist is wonderful! Never condescending, doesn't say things to me like " you should floss more", and she knows my financial situation so she really does take the most serious problems first and doesn't pressure me to come in for less serious things. Dentists will often book you so quickly you barely have time to think things through. Cavities are serious but for those of us who don't have insurance we cant just go in and get everything fixed as quickly as we should or want. If you do decide to stick with him, make sure you speak up about what you want/ don't want. Don't let him bully you into anything!
Source

0 comments: