How much is too much to spend to save a pet's life?

Saturday, March 12, 2011

I just spent $1,500 to save my cat's life. She had a dental abcess and her face was swollen to more than twice it's size. With emergency care and dental extraction the cost was about $1,500.00. I never hesitated to say yes to the vet. Later though I wondered, how much is too much? At what point would I say to put her sleep rather than pay the bill? By the way, we're considering changing her name from Maggie to Scarface because she has a big scar running down her face from the outside corner of her eye to the corner of her mouth. It just seems appropriate...
--------------------
i've raised several cats from kittenhood to adult. i love all my cats. but only once was i in a position where i shelled out a lot of money for what i thought would save her life. it didnt. i realized that the vet took advantage of me. but then on the other hand, if i had a ton of disposable cash, i would have used it on tiga. what owners need to ask vets is what will the quality of life be for my pet if i have this/these procedures done? tiga had fluid in her lungs. i should have known right then and there to put her to sleep. but i paid to have the fluid removed and she was miserable for 2 days in the vets office. although she looked better the fluid was coming back. so i put her to sleep. it was a horrible feeling but i had no more money. whatever decision is made for the pet - always remember that you gave them the best home and life that you possibly could.
Source

0 comments: